Beef Stroganoff is a Russian Cuisine that is simple to make and full of delicious flavors. It takes only 25 to 30 minutes to make and then it is ready to serve. Plate it over a bed of noodles or anything else you like and you’ll have yourself a delicious meal.
Beef Stroganoff is a Russian dish taking the world by storm. It is a very popular dish that many people like. It basically consists of sauteed pieces of beef mixed in with a type of sour cream sauce. It has a lot of nutritional flavor and is delicious to eat.
My first time having beef stroganoff is in school. I always thought it was a pasta type dish because I have always seen it served over a bed of pasta. However I was clearly in the wrong because I have since found out you can serve it over anything you like. The name was just referring to the beef and the sauce it comes in.
This dish has since risen in time and has become one of my go to dishes to make. After all it is quick and easy and you can make it in less then 30 minutes.
How Do You Pronounce it?
When I first heard about this item, I had no idea how to pronounce it. After all stroganoff isn’t a word you come across on the daily.
However with time I have essentially learned how to pronounce this word.
In short, you should pronounce it like Beef – Stro – Ga – Nof.
Once you get the hang of it, it’s actually really easy to pronounce.
Why You Should Make Beef Stroganoff
Simple To Make: Beef Stroganoff is a very simple dish to make. It will literally take you under 25 to 30 minutes just to make this recipe. So you don’t have to wait long before you get to eat.
Keeps Well: It will stay delicious even if you decide to eat it the next day or the day after.
Better Than Restaurants: Because you are making this recipe from scratch, you can put a lot of personal touches to this item to make it suit your tastes better.
Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
Beef Stroganoff is a really simple thing to make.
For this recipe you will need:
- Beef: In this recipe we are using Top Sirlion, but you can choose any meat you want. However do try to pick some tender meats if possible like ribeye or beef tenderloin etc.
- Mushrooms: For mushrooms, we will be using baby bellas as they are easy to find and cheap to use. However just about any variety of mushrooms will work in this recipe. As long as you are able to cut them into bite sized pieces, you will be fine.
- Onions: Yellow or White onions will work just fine in this dish.
- Sauce Ingredients: For the sauce we are going to be using butter, mushrooms, onions, garlic, beef broth, heavy cream, worcestershire suace, flour and sour cream. This makes for a simple sauce that tastes amazing!
- Egg Noodles: Egg noodles are the traditional item to serve with the sauce. However if you can’t get your hand on egg noodles then you can use any other type of noodles you want. Or you can skip out on the noodles and serve it over a bed of rice, zoodles, quinoa or any other food items you want.
- Garnishes: To give the sauce some color, I would recommend adding in some chopped parsley or chives. This will make the sauce pop up more and be more visually appealing to the eye.
That is pretty much it!
Substitutions In This Recipe
Beef Stroganoff is basically just a sauce you make to be served over a bed of your choice.
Which means that you are able to customize this to a certain extant.
For instance, this recipe is calling for pasta to be served with the sauce. However if you don’t want to use pasta, you can use something else.
You can serve this sauce with zoodles, rice, polenta or anything else you want to serve it with.
It doesn’t matter what you pick to serve the sauce over with because it will all taste delicious.
Also if you don’t want to use sour cream, you can use Greek yogurt instead.
Tips For Making This Dish
- Try to cook the noodles the same time as you are making the sauce. This will make sure that when the sauce is finished you can automatically serve it with the pasta.
- Try to buy good quality beef if you can. Top Sirloin usually works, but make sure it says “Top” in the name. Also boneless ribeye or beef tenderloin will work as well. Basically any meet that is tender to hte touch will work.
- For mushrooms, basically any type of mushrooms will work. In this recipe we are going to be using baby bella mushrooms which are my favorite.
Storing Beef Stroganoff
Storing: I am usually able to store this in the refrigerator for around 3 to 4 days at most.
Reheating: This recipe should reheat just fine. Either pop it back on the stove to reheat the sauce and pasta or use the microwave. It will still end up delicious like the first time you made it.
Freezing: I have never tried freezing this as I usually always finish it, but it should be able to freeze just like any other foods you make.
Please let me know how you like this recipe down in the comments below. I always love reading feedback and seeing all the creative alternatives you have decided to change in this recipe.
Also if you want to see more lunch & dinner recipes, do click on this link here.
- 1 Pound Steak I use Top Sirloin
- 1 Pound Mushroom I use Baby Bellas
- 1 small Onion white or yellow doesn't matter
- 4 Tablespoon Butter
- 3 Clove Garlic
- 1 1/2 Cup Beef Broth
- 2 Tablespoon Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- Salt Seasoning
- Black Pepper Seasoning
- Cilantro (Optional) Chopped for garnish
- 1 Pound Egg Noodles
- First you want to take out your steak and cut it into thin strips. Once you have cut your steak into thin strips, put it aside for now.
- Take out your onion and dice it into thin pieces and then put the pieces aside for now.
- Take out the mushrooms and slice it into thing slices and then put the pieces aside for now.
- Mince Your garlic and set it aside
- Now it is time to cook the steak. Grab a large saute pan over medium heat and put in 2 tablespoons of butter. Then put in the steak strips in a single layer cooking them for about 1 minute per side without stirring the steak around. Try to cook the steak in batches so that the pan won't get too crowded. Once they are browned and no longer red, take them out and place them aside covered so that they will keep warm.
- Once you have removed the steak, in the same pan add in another 2 tablespoons of butter. Then toss in your chopped onions and sliced mushrooms. You want to sautee them for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the onions and mushrooms are soft and colored.During this time, I also recommend cooking your pasta at the same time so that everything finishes around the same time.
- Now while the onions and mushrooms are still cooking, throw in the minced garlic cloves and sautee for another minute or until everything is nice and fragrant. Then add in your flour and sautee it for another minute while stirring the pan continuously.
- Pour in the pan your beef broth and stir the pan. After that, you'll want to pour in your heavy cream and let it simmer for about 2 minutes or so until everything is a little thickened.
- Now it is time to pour in your sour cream. Make sure when you pour it in to stir the pan constantly so that you don't get any curdles. After that add in 1 tablespoon of worcestershire sauce and mix it around.
- Season the sauce with some salt and pepper for taste.
- Once the sauce is nice and creamy, add back into the pan your slices of beef you have previously cooked. Bring the pan to a simmer or until the beef is nicely heated through.
- Once everything is nicely cooked and heated, your sauce is done.
- Pour it over the bed of pasta and serve.
Cooking The Pasta
- I recommend cooking the pasta at the same time as you are making the sauce.
- Using a large pot, bring the water to a boil and pour in your egg noodles.
- Cook until the noodles are al dente.
- Serve the noodles in a bowl and pour the Beef Stroganoff Sauce on top of it to serve.