This Chicken Fried Rice is packed full of vegetables and protein that will make your day. It is very flavorful and is loaded with plenty of nutrients. Way better than any restaurant made chicken fried rice!
Chicken Fried Rice is one of the best dishes to make in the world. It’s hearty, it is nutritious, and best of all is that it is delicious!
Growing up in an Asian family, we tend to eat fried rice a lot. Whenever my mom would make fried rice back when I was younger, I would always ask her to put chicken in it. Because chicken is my most favorite protein of them all. Eating this dish brings back so many memories for me, and I can’t wait to show you all how great this dish really is.
Why You Should Make This Chicken Fried Rice
Hearty: This fried rice dish is very hearty and filled to the brim with lots of yummy vegetables and chicken. You will definitely be full from eating this dish.
Nutritious: Because of all the vegetables and chicken used in this dish, you will definitely get a lot of nutritional values from every one of these items.
Keeps Well: This dish stays delicious even if you decide to eat it the next day or the day after.
Better Than Restaurants: Because of all the personalized touches you have done to this dish, it is more suited for your tastes. Which means that this dish will definitely beat out any other soup you decide to get from a fancy restaurant.
What Goes Into Chicken Fried Rice?
The best thing about fried rice is that it is extremely customizable. All you really need is rice, your choice of vegetables and protein. That is basically it. For this recipe, we are going to be using chicken as our protein as well as 2 eggs. For the vegetables we are going to use peas, onions, carrots and peppers.
When you are starting the cooking process, you will first cook the chicken. After the chicken is cooked, take it out and put it on the side.
Then you want cook your vegetables. Put in your onions, peppers, carrots and spices and start cooking until the vegetables are soft. (Don’t put the peas in yet).
After that, brush your vegetables to the side and pour in your eggs into the empty half of the pan. You want to cook your eggs kind of like scrambled eggs.
Once the eggs are done cooking, you want to pour in your cooked rice, soy sauce, chicken and peas. Then mix things all together.
That is basically it. Just season it with some scallions and you are done!
Substitutions In This Recipe
The best thing about a fried rice recipe is that you can totally do anything you want.
If you don’t want a certain ingredient, than don’t use it.
Or if you want to add something else, then do it.
It is totally customizable and it is great!
Now if you are interested in seeing what kind of substitutions you can make in this soup, I do have a few suggestions.
Rice: In this recipe we are using regular rice, however you are able to substitute that for brown rice or even cauliflower rice. Any type of rice will work with this dish.
Vegetables: Fried rice is all about being customizable. If you want a certain veggie inside then add it, if not just leave it out. You can put in mushrooms, corn, broccoli, or any other type of vegetable that you want. Or if you don’t want any vegetables, you can simply not put any in inside.
Basically, if you like a certain vegetable, then put it in. If you don’t then don’t use it.
Oil: My preferred oil is olive oil but if you want to use a different oil then you are certainly free to do so. Things like sesame oil, avocado oil or any other oil all will work.
Protein: This recipe is using chicken, however you are free to use any protein you want. For instance, you can use beef or pork to make this dish as well.
Vegan/Glutten Free: To make this dish Vegan or gluten free, you can simply remove the chicken and eggs and just make this a vegetarian fried rice. Also instead of using soy sauce, you can use something like coconut aminos which is basically similar but gluten free.
Tips For Making Chicken Fried Rice
- When you are chopping the carrots, peppers and onions, try to keep things around the same size so that they can cook at the same rate.
- In my opinion, the best rice to use for a fried rice recipe is a days old rice. However fresh rice works just as fine. Or you can buy already cooked rice if that is what you want as well.
- To save time, you can always buy pre-cut vegetables.
Storing Chicken Fried Rice
Storing: I am usually able to store this dish in the refrigerator for around 3 to 4 days at most.
Reheating: You are able to reheat this dish on the stove or in the microwave.
Freezing: I have never tried freezing this dish as I usually always finish it, but it should be able to freeze just like any other foods you make.
Please let me know how you like this fried rice down in the comments below. I always love reading feedback and seeing all the creative alternatives you have decided to change in this recipe.
Also if you want to see more lunch/dinner recipes, do click on this link here.
Chicken Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into small pieces
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup peppers diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- To start, you want to get a pan and put 1 tablespoon of olive oil inside. Sauté the chicken for about 15 minutes or until the edges are brown. Then remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
- In the same pan, add another tablespoon of olive oil. Once the oil has been heated, you will want to Sauté the onions, garlic, peppers, carrots and other spices until the vegetables have become soft. This should take about 5-8 minutes.
- After the vegetables are done, brush them to the side of the pan to leave half of the other side empty. Then you want to stir up 2 eggs and pour it inside that empty half of the pan. Cook the eggs like your trying to scramble them. This should take about 1 minute or 2.
- After eggs are done cooking, you want to pour in your cooked rice, soy sauce, chicken and green peas. Then start mixing things together until all the flavors are combined.
- Once everything is done cooking, you want to try to taste it. See if it needs some more salt or black pepper.
- After everything is done, just garnish it with some scallions or chives and serve. You are done!