This easy chicken tacos recipe is a delicious source of nutrients. Packed full of flavor and tons of vegetables and protein, it will give you that oomph that you need in life.
Tacos are a classic Mexican dish that is simple to make as well as being very nutritious. Many people from all over love eating tacos because of just how tasty they really are.
In fact, tacos are so good that before I started cooking, I was constantly going out buying tacos to eat. It was then I realized that instead of wasting my money constantly buying from established places, I could simply make them myself! I could make them even better because I can personalize them and make it better suited to my tastes. Plus, it’ll save me a lot of money by making things myself!
Why You Should Make Chicken Tacos
Hearty: Tacos are packed with many different things. From the vegetables to the protein to the sauce and other things, you have yourself an entire meal.
Nutritious: Because of all the vegetables and protein used in this recipe, you will definitely get a lot of nutritional values from every one of these items.
Keeps Well: Tacos will stay delicious even if you decide to eat it the next day or the day after.
Better Than Restaurants: Because of all the personalized touches you have done to this taco, it is more suited for your tastes. Which means that this taco will definitely beat out any other taco you decide to get from a fancy restaurant.
What Goes Into Making Chicken Tacos?
Chicken Tacos are a really simple thing to make. They consist of a tortilla, protein, vegetables, and many other things that you want to put in there.
All you do is simply heat up the tortilla to make it soft and warm, then start assembling your taco. Put in the protein in which we are using chicken for this recipe. Then start adding the avocados, pico de gallo, cilantro and anything else you want for that perfect bite.
After you are done assembling your taco, it is time to eat.
It is just that simple!
Substitutions In This Recipe
The best thing about a chicken taco recipe is that you can totally do anything you want.
If you don’t want a certain ingredient, than don’t use it.
Or if you want to add something else, then do it.
It is totally customization and it is great!
Now if you are interested in seeing what kind of substitutions you can make in this recipe, I do have a few suggestions.
Tortilla: There are many different kinds of tortillas. In this recipe we are using flour tortillas. However if you are wanting this to be gluten free or you just don’t like flour tortillas, you can always use corn tortillas or anything similar.
Vegetables: In this recipe, the vegetables we are going to be using is basically cilantro and also the veggies from the pico de gallo. However if you feel like that isn’t enough, you can simply add in some lettuce to spruce things up.
Oil: My preferred oil is olive oil but if you want to use a different oil then you are certainly free to do so.
Protein: Now this recipe is using chicken as the main source of protein. However you don’t have to use chicken if you don’t want to. You can use beef, pork or even fish if you want to make your own custom taco.
Vegan/Glutten Free: To make this recipe gluten free, all you have to do is replace the flour tortilla we are using with a corn tortilla or something similar. And to make it vegan, just take out the chicken and make it a veggie taco.
Tips For Chicken Tacos
- Instead of just using tortillas straight out of the bag, I would prefer to heat them up a little bit so that they get nice and warm.
- Because tacos are so customizable, you can add anything you want as well as take out anything you want. Make a taco that suits your lifestyle.
Storing Chicken Tacos
Storing: I am usually able to store this chicken taco in the refrigerator for around 3 to 4 days at most.
Reheating: To be honest, you don’t really need to reheat this recipe as you can eat it cold. But if you want, simply pop it in the microwave for a few seconds and you should be good.
Freezing: I have never tried freezing this chicken taco recipe as I usually always finish it, but it should be able to freeze just like any other foods you make.
Please let me know how you like this chicken taco recipe down in the comments below. I always love reading feedback and seeing all the creative alternatives you have decided to change in this recipe.
Also if you want to see more lunch & dinner recipes, do click on this link here.
- 2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 10 mini flour tortillas or corn tortillas if you want it gluten free
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- black pepper
- kosher salt
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped for garnish
- 1 to 2 lime cut into wedges
- mexican cheese (optional)
- First you want to cut your chicken breast into small strips.
- In a large bowl, combine your seasoning of ground cumin, chili pepper, paprika, garlic powder, salt and black pepper together. Then put the chicken into the bowl and mix it together. Make sure every chicken gets seasoned well.
- Get a large pan or skillet and put it on the stove at medium heat. Put in the olive oil and once it is ready, it is time to put in your chicken. Cook the chicken for about 5 to 6 minutes or until it turns brown. Once the chicken is done cooking, set it aside for now.
- Start slicing and dicing your optional items like red onions, avocado, cilantro and any other items you want to add into the taco.
- This step is optional. But if you want, you can heat up your tortillas for a few seconds on the pan. Once they are warm, take them out and set them aside.
- Time to build your taco. Grab your tortilla and place in the chicken with the desired toppings of your choice. You can add in pico de gallo, avocados, cilantro, or anything else you want.
- Top it off with some cheese and a squeeze of lime juice and you are ready to serve.